Re: [LUG] Energy Monitoring

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015, Tom wrote:

I have solar (and an old mechanical meter) so if anyone knows of a monitor that can read backwards I'd be interested to hear about it,

If you have a meter with a spinny disc, then you need a sensor (Ir LED + detector) that can detect the large black mark on the disc. With 2 such sensors you can tell which way the disc is going - same as a shaft encoder or mechanical mouse. You just need some clever software.

Also read this -

http://www.which.co.uk/energy/creating-an-energy-saving-home/guides/feed-in-tariffs-explained/meters-running-backwards/

If your supply co. get wind of you have an old meter than can go backwards they may change it out sooner than you want (but you have no choice in the matter)

Gordon