Re: [LUG] Bloody politicians! Rant.

On 13/01/15 15:30, Brad Rogers wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I see that Cameron says he'll set about banning SnapChat and
> WhatsApp and other encrypted messaging services if he gets
> re-elected in May, unless British intelligence agencies are given
> access to encrypted content.
>
> He thus demonstrates, yet again, that politicians simply have no
> f*cking idea how the internet works and that it's a simple matter
> to sidestep their block.  All it does is stop law-abiding people
> having their fun. It won't stop the crims;  They're criminals!
>
> FFS!

Like Neil I have read responses here with interest,  so how as a LUG
can we do a small part to address this.?

The free software foundation has some resources for this

http://www.fsf.org/resources/materials

Maybe if we raise awareness of simply signing e-mails with free tools,
and key signing events,  that could go some way to start the ball
rolling and starting to educate people.

There are probably lots of people out there, looking at these ideas
from Cameron and thinking,  Oh well, I can't do anything so will just
put up with it.   So such advocacy may be of interest to them.

I don't feel the need to encrypt all my e-mails but have auto signing
turned on (I think) so the more of us that do that the better. If it
helps keep mail secure and know who it is from then I guess that is
worth the extra effort to set it up.

Paul

- --
http://www.zleap.net @zleap14