Re: [LUG] Bloody politicians! Rant.

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:30:10 +0000
Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I see that Cameron says he'll set about banning SnapChat and WhatsApp
> and other encrypted messaging services if he gets re-elected in May,
> unless British intelligence agencies are given access to encrypted
> content.
>
> He thus demonstrates, yet again, that politicians simply have no
> f*cking idea how the internet works and that it's a simple matter to
> sidestep their block.  All it does is stop law-abiding people having
> their fun. It won't stop the crims;  They're criminals!
>
> FFS!

I have been reading the replies with interest. Throughout history all
governments have wanted to control their people. Now with the internet
that is more difficult, and they don't like it. So they are trying to
control that too

And any atrocity such as the recent one in France gives them a good
excuse to shout anti-terrorism as the reason they have to do something.
The problem is that they don't seem to have a clue about how it all
works. On the other hand, the criminals do know.

By the way, re encrypted email, has anyone looked at protonmail?

Neil