Re: [LUG] Unnecessary Questions

On 15/09/14 12:21, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:06:42PM +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> Yes, I understand that. However just setting up an email account is not
>> age restricted, is it?
>
> It is. Here are the age requirements for Google accounts (and thus for
> Gmail):
>
> https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1350409?hl=en
>
> This may sound silly, but when you sign up for an email account, you
> enter into an agreement with the email provider.
>
>> And anyway, you can put in any sensible date of birth, true or false.
>> How can anyone tell?
>
> Obviously no one can. IANAL, but I suspect it is done because without
> it, the website is breaking the law by providing a service to an
> underaged person, whereas now it is the child (and thus perhaps their
> parents) who is breaking the law.
>
> Martijn.

To add to this, looking at freenode,  anyone of any age can connect to
this but due to US laws you can't register as a user if your under 13.
even if this is basically issuing the command (well you're not meant to,
 there is nothing stopping you)

e-mail bit is optional

Thinking about this,  one point of registering a nickname is so others
don't use it,  and therefore go on to pose as you or as a friend.  So in
one sense the law that is meant to protect people could actually have
the opposite effect.

Paul

--
http://www.zleap.net
@zleap14

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and
vulnerable groups and expect any school, establishment or organsation that
I am involved with to share this commitment.