Re: [LUG] Looking for help testing software

Leave a topic?

I'd say I already have the Linux I desire right now, it's called Linux Mint :-)

It's functional, I can browse the net, check my e-mail, do my online
banking and watch videos of kittens.  I might take a look at the
distro as it matures though, I simply don't have enough time right now
to really take on any more projects (joys of working full time, being
a single parent to three girls etc).

Rob

On 3 September 2014 23:33, Daniel Robinson <manipula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The website needs the reluctant wise guys from the mailing list to leave a
> topic or two on fundamental things that need to be done in order to create
> the Linux we all desire, the info is held tightly in the mailing list and
> unless you want to wade through the archive there is no humanoid access to
> the read learn rinse produce effect of online tutorials and how two guides.
> If the as for mentioned wise guise were to write a topic or two they'd
> probably be the best and most in depth guides out there.
> Just a thought and a thorn in the side, but us minions would love to hear
> from you.
>
> On 3 Sep 2014 20:36, "Tom" <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 03/09/14 20:04, Simon Avery wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Paul
>>>
>>> I can't help much with the project, but some feedback on the website
>>> from a fresh pair of eyes.
>>>
>>> I found it difficult to understand what this project was about - your
>>> first sentence here gave away more than the website did. By blind luck I
>>> moused over an image which took me to an about page (not a menu item?)
>>> but even then, it wasn't clear even by the time I'd read through.
>>>
>>> I got the gist, but was confused by headers such as "Why ubuntu" - why
>>> indeed? Why can't the user just go to ubuntu? Or xubuntu, which is quite
>>> XP in feel.  There's a few distros out there that have the same ideals
>>> as yourselves, what's unique about Tori_OS, what's the USP? (Things that
>>> have probably been considered already, but don't come across to a new
>>> visitor within the first 30 seconds, after which you've probably lost
>>> them.)
>>>
>>> This isn't intended as a negative, just some feedback that I, as a
>>> casually interested viewer - and one who probably isn't your target
>>> audience, was confused.
>>>
>>> Most projects would have a simple mission statement and explanation on
>>> the landing page. "Tori_OS - a fresh look at a familiar interface"
>>> "Helping ease the pain of migration from XP..." "Saving your
>>> organisation the cost of upgrading your hardware" - something enticing
>>> and fluffy, followed with a factual statement explaining; "A free linux
>>> based desktop solution and environment" (Or whatever)
>>>
>>> Sorry if this isn't much help, and my time is a little limited - even
>>> the foss projects I am already involved with I don't help enough already.
>>>
>>> Good luck with it!
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>

>>> On 3 September 2014 18:20, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx
>>> <mailto:zleap@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>>

>>>     Hi
>>>
>>>     I am part of a small team, helping to develop a new GNU / Linux based
>>>     operating system that has very very low system requirements.   This
>>> is
>>>     called ToriOS.(http://torios.org/).
>>>
>>>     We have just entered the Alpha 1 stage and were looking for some help
>>>     with various aspects of development. and testing,the JWM Settings
>>>     Manager, so using bash, C++ and Python

> [...]

Website <http://www.mareandfoal.org/>  ::  Contact Us
<http://www.mareandfoal.org/contact> :: Email Disclaimer
<http://www.mareandfoal.org/email-disclaimer/>
VISIT US <http://www.mareandfoal.org/visiting-centre/>: Our Visitor Centre
near Totnes is open 10am-4pm daily. Admission free.

<http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mare-Foal-Sanctuary/128985917122998>
<https://twitter.com/#!/themareandfoal>
<http://www.youtube.com/user/mfsanctuary>
<https://plus.google.com/108505588979645081611>