Re: [LUG] Looking for help testing software

On 03/09/14 20:04, Simon Avery wrote:
Hi Paul

I can't help much with the project, but some feedback on the website
from a fresh pair of eyes.

I found it difficult to understand what this project was about - your
first sentence here gave away more than the website did. By blind luck I
moused over an image which took me to an about page (not a menu item?)
but even then, it wasn't clear even by the time I'd read through.

I got the gist, but was confused by headers such as "Why ubuntu" - why
indeed? Why can't the user just go to ubuntu? Or xubuntu, which is quite
XP in feel.  There's a few distros out there that have the same ideals
as yourselves, what's unique about Tori_OS, what's the USP? (Things that
have probably been considered already, but don't come across to a new
visitor within the first 30 seconds, after which you've probably lost them.)

This isn't intended as a negative, just some feedback that I, as a
casually interested viewer - and one who probably isn't your target
audience, was confused.

Most projects would have a simple mission statement and explanation on
the landing page. "Tori_OS - a fresh look at a familiar interface"
"Helping ease the pain of migration from XP..." "Saving your
organisation the cost of upgrading your hardware" - something enticing
and fluffy, followed with a factual statement explaining; "A free linux
based desktop solution and environment" (Or whatever)

Sorry if this isn't much help, and my time is a little limited - even
the foss projects I am already involved with I don't help enough already.

Good luck with it!

Simon

On 3 September 2014 18:20, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx