Re: [LUG] Diaspora

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

On 28 Aug 2014 12:57, "Mark Evans" <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 28/08/14 11:48, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014, Paul Sutton wrote:

Well I am sure between the Lug which is what over 200 people we can
between us come up with something on this.

We tried with opendevon. It failed. Remember?

I think it might have failed so badly that people don't remember :)

I remember it existing. I think I had an account of sorts. I also remember
being quite amused that I didn't know about it earlier even though I've
been on the LUG for a long time. It seemed to be the Fight Club of the LUG
- nobody really mentioned it on the list at all!

Well you did, on:

  Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 17:20:08 +0100
  From: Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [LUG] OpenDevon

;-)

There was an opendevon mailing list too - I'm sure the invite to get in it went out to the LUG list - it had 9 members! I think the idea was that a small group wanted to setup the opendevon stuff (and ELGG was the social platform that was tested on it at the time) but it just sort of faded out...

Looks like Elgg is still going: http://elgg.org/about.php

An even smaller number of us re-used opendevon to try to get a hackspace going, but that faded out too. Did you know that the combined Devon/Cornwall size:people gives us 54 Km^2 each? That appears to be the biggest stumbling block to making anything (physically) social work - you get little groups in the cities doing something - which may or may not work. Maybe it's just the Devon way of life... If you live in Devon, you need to be prepared to travel - but no-one does, so it seems. Hackspace in the barn behind my house? Sure - I could make it happen... Number of visitors apart from me... zero. Who wants to drive to Buckfastleigh? (drive because the bus stops at 6pm)

So maybe we just stick to the list and see what happens...

Gordon