Re: [LUG] Diaspora

On 27/08/14 20:17, Roland Tarver wrote:
> On 27/08/14 19:55, Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> On 27 Aug 2014, at 14:00, Tom<madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>
>>> I notice diaspora is getting some bad press for being used by certain
>>> organisations.
>>> Beginning to think its time I got one working properly - any usesrs
>>> out ther?
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>
>> I am a bit frustrated by Diaspora and the lack of a data centre in
>> Cornwall. I would love to set up and run my own Diaspora network. I
>> have a whole load of family members who would not use Facebook if I
>> had a Diaspora network set up. I have a Diaspora account but am unable
>> to use it because no one else uses Diaspora. When I suggest using
>> Diaspora on a different server most family members ask why is that
>> different to Facebook. I explain about data ownership etc but they
>> point out that there data is now on someone else's server and the
>> problem could persist.
>
> Agreed. Phil Hudson posts on there quite a bit, but he was my only
> friend.... Bring out the violins! haha! No one else I know and certainly
> none of the family have an account. Perhaps that's a failing on my
> part.. lol
>
> Apparently you can make Diaspora posts which automagically get posted to
> your other social media things (FB, G+ etc)
>
> To be honest, I'm getting a bit cheesed off with facebook et al. I don't
> really need to know that you had "skimmed milk with your corn flakes
> this morning"! lol
>
> Cheers roly :-)

Well I am sure between the Lug which is what over 200 people we can
between us come up with something on this.

Can people not install a webserver (even on a pi) and connect it to
their home router and port forward port 80,  or use the dyndns service
(or similar) to glue the right bits together.

Paul

--
http://www.zleap.net
@zleap14

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and
vulnerable groups and expect any school, establishment or organsation that
I am involved with to share this commitment.