Re: [LUG] Degoogling

On Tue, 20 May 2014, Philip Hudson wrote:

Here's my list of links for liberating yourself from Google. Please
contribute any more you may have.

searching the web is about all i'd have to do with google.

lately i categorise my searches as either (i) things i can associate
with some page on wikipedia (and then follow links out from there),
(ii) math and technical books, or (iii) everything else.

for (i) wikipedia, this html form seems to work okay:

<form method="post" action="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search"; />
<input type="text" name="search" size="35" maxlength="225" />
<input type="submit" value="Wikipedia" />

it's a trial-and-error job, but it suits me.  if something looks
weird, speak up.

also, regarding searching wikipedia, looks like this page has some
interesting information:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Searching

will have to read it sometime.

for (ii) the books, i find bookfi.org pretty nice for starters:

  http://bookfi.org/#searchForm

(not a web search.  but they seem to have a lot of books on their
servers.  if anyone can figure out what their angle is, i'd be happy
to be enlightened.)

for (iii) everything else i mostly use ixquick:

  https://ixquick.com

or, more specifically,

https://ixquick.com/do/mypage.pl?prfh=lang_homepageEEEs/air/advanced-search.htmlN1Nfont_sizeEEEmediumN1Nrecent_results_filterEEE0N1Nlanguage_uiEEEenglishN1Ndisable_open_in_new_windowEEE1N1NsslEEE1N1Ncolor_schemeEEEnewN1Ndisable_family_filterEEE1N1Nnum_of_resultsEEE10N1Npicture_privacyEEEonN1Nenable_exact_phraseEEE0N1Ndisable_video_family_filterEEE1N1NsuggestionsEEE0N1N

more about choosing preferences via url (instead of cookies) is here:

  https://ixquick.com/do/preferences.pl?language_ui=english

and in case what you actually want is just want a google scraper,
there is

  https://startpage.com

run by the same company as ixquick.

hth,