Re: [LUG] Junk Mail

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 05:23:07PM +0100, Simon Avery wrote:
> A friend who runs a hosting company quite frequently has to suspend vm's
> that have been compromised in this way. And he has a foreign  group who use
> stolen credit card details to rent vms specifically for this purpose. He's
> quite good at his job and has some early-warning systems, but it does take
> a fair bit of his time to counter.

Yes, that's the impression I got when I spoke to some people working at
hosting companies about this issue (and abuse in general, such as
running servers to remotely control malware). The frustrating thing is
that profit margins tend to be small, so there isn't a lot of money to
spend on fighting abuse.

Martijn.