[LUG] FabLabDevon - launch

As I'm one of the closer ones I went along to a meeting with Tom Dixon
and others at a pub in Exeter this evening on the subject of the
FabLabDevon project.

http://fablabdevon.org/

Many of you will be well aware of the project. But for the rest, they
are building a fabrication laboratory in Exeter Library, and then will
co-operate with other groups around Devon to provide similar facilities
elsewhere (Except Plymouth who are already well on their way
https://www.fablabs.io/fablabplymouth ).

The goal is for the FabLab to be self funding, so it will likely be for
paying members during the working week, and open during library hours at
weekend for other users who just have to cover consumables and other
expenses.

FabLabDevon will be doing their first event in association with the
reopening of Exeter Central library on Thursday May 22nd, 09:00 to 19:00

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/FabLabDevon-6523124

The first event will include chocolate 3D printer demo (some events
over the summer promoting the project will also have chocolate). And a
chance to see the refurbished library.

At this point the lab should be basically built, but they'll still be
sorting out processes and the like, so likely it will be organized
events, and paying members, until they have folks trained up to help
others use all the kit, and processes sorted.

Tom was also after some assistance over the coming weeks in setting up
networks, and generally making the right contacts, even just folks who
can lug furniture. So if interested drop him an email.

Also he wants to find folks who are happy to do demos, show off stuff
they have built, or have plans of things ready to print once they get
the right 3D printing gear.

Some of the bigger bits of kit the FabLab will have are here:

http://fablabdevon.org/machines/

As regards smaller kit, some of that will be bought to meet demand. But
also on the electronics and computing side I think Tom is looking for
folk who can help steer things.

The intention is that the FabLabDevon will be self funding, but they
will be open weekends for more informal meetings, non-members, including
{G}LUG meetings by arrangements.

Tom also discussed plans for other parts of Devon, with North Devon
being the current "hole" in the plan. So anyone up in North Devon who
has the start of a plan, or more, or even just a suitable venue, should
speak with Tom.

Email Tom: tom.dixon@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Follow the project on Linked-In: #fablabdevon
Follow Tom on twitter: @Tom_S_Dixon

Even for a software person who is a danger to himself and others with a
soldering iron, it was very interesting, so I hope folks will get along,
and get involved.

 Simon