Re: [LUG] Server to Server Network link bonding with two or more NICs

On 08/05/14 13:09, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A couple of years ago when working for a local radio station I came
> across Link Aggregation to bond two gigabit network links to a switch to
> give double the bandwidth and a bit of redundancy if a link went down.
>
> Recently I've been thinking about how to get faster than 1 Gigabit
> Ethernet without having to go down the fibre route and I wondered if it
> was possible to do link aggregation or bonding with just network cards.
>
> What I'm thinking is two Linux boxes with 2 or more Gigabit NICs
> connected with cables between them and no switch and having them talk to
> each other at 2 Gigabit (or more depending if more cards are added).
>
> Does anyone know if this is possible or would it require a switch?
>
> Rob

What you want is 802.3ad - link aggregation, aka 'bonding'. Do "mondinfo
bonding" on your linux boxes to see what modes they support: this is a
relatively complex area.

As far as I understand it, you cannot do this without a suitable switch
in the middle outside of the exotic high end (think many many thousands
of pounds worth of AIX or other proprietary Unix gear, I believe vSphere
might also support it). The good news is that 8 port 'prosumer' gigabit
switches can be had for well under £100 these days that will do nicely,
the key is to make sure that it supports LACP. If you're really lucky,
your existing switches may already be LACP compliant to save you buying
new ones.

If you want any help, feel free to ask as I use bonding here at home.
The big server downstairs has 4x1Gb teamed and both my workstations and
the older, smaller server have 2x1Gb connections, all hooked up to a
Cisco switch. You definitely won't get an actual 4Gb connection from
teaming 4 x 1Gb cards, but you will see considerable throughput increases.

Cheers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

EDIT: Gordon just answered while I was typing and I believe he is wrong
on both counts: you can't do back-to-back connections like with a single
cross-over cable for 802.3ad, a LACP-compliant switch is required.
Similarly, unless you are using crappy x1 lane cheapo NICs (which you
obviously shouldn't on a server) there will be plenty of bandwidth
available - proper Intel quad port PCIe network cards won't even work in
a x1 lane, and can happily use everything up to x16 lanes which you will
never, ever come remotely close to saturating with a paltry theoretical
maximum 4Gb of simultaneous traffic. Sorry Gordon.