Re: [LUG] FabLabDevon - launch

On Fri, 9 May 2014, Simon Waters wrote:

The first event will include chocolate 3D printer demo (some events
over the summer promoting the project will also have chocolate). And a
chance to see the refurbished library.

I can't make it but good luck to them. I offered my help, but Tom wants to do everything via Linked in and through the DCC tendering process. I just want to know when the Totnes one is open.

As for the chocolate printer - I saw them at the recent cake shop thing at Westpoint - they have a long way to go IMO. They have a fairly crude 2D system with a syringe dispenser in the Y axis filled with melted chocolate - the down-side is that they need to keep the syringe warm - which they can't do yet, so it's all about time. They can't print very high either - just a few cm IIRC.

They might get there though - the question is - is there a market for this, given that there are now (vegetable) ink jet printers that will print names, photos, etc. onto a plaque of sugar paste - the current way to make chocolates is to use a mould for the "cup" part, then pipe the filling in - and doing it that way, you can make a dozen at a time...

Gordon