Re: [LUG] Server to Server Network link bonding with two or more NICs

On Thu, 8 May 2014, Rob Beard wrote:

Hi folks,

A couple of years ago when working for a local radio station I came across Link Aggregation to bond two gigabit network links to a switch to give double the bandwidth and a bit of redundancy if a link went down.

Recently I've been thinking about how to get faster than 1 Gigabit Ethernet without having to go down the fibre route and I wondered if it was possible to do link aggregation or bonding with just network cards.

What I'm thinking is two Linux boxes with 2 or more Gigabit NICs connected with cables between them and no switch and having them talk to each other at 2 Gigabit (or more depending if more cards are added).

Does anyone know if this is possible or would it require a switch?

It's possible.

You need the bonding network interface. It will work with any ethernet cards and work to a switch that supports trunking or to another Linux box.

Do be aware of motherboard issues - unless you using separate PCIe channels you may not see that much speedup.

Or just get a 10gig Ethernet card.

Gordon