Re: [LUG] firefox update

On Thu, 1 May 2014 19:50:39 +0100
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>It's just a design thing. Consistency of presentation for the majority
>of users.

Yeah, I know.  The 'beef' was largely rhetorical.

>Sometimes quite hard to layout to suit everything from 800 to 1920 and
>above and not have it appear as a jumbled mess. (Amazon chose the other
>path and it's horrible imo)

Oooh, Amazon.  Don't get me started on them........

Too late.   :-)

I sometimes have to reload their site a few times to get the page to
load properly, if at all.  The wird thing is though, that as soon as I
head off to the basket and start the payment process, everything runs
perfectly.  I thought it might be some extension I'm using here, but it
seems not;  I've tried Amazon w/o any extensions, scripts and what-not,
and it's still borked.  After my broken upgrade, I tried again thinking
that might have been having an effect, but still no go.  I've not used
any of the other computers in the house long enough on Amazon to know
whether it's jut this one machine.  Anyhow, I'm trying to avoid Amazon
as much as possible these days, and going to some of the independent
suppliers of music, books, etc. online.

>What really annoys me is when designers use this "dead space" to display
>ads or graphics which are clickable. I click on those areas to focus

I use AdBlock Edge to kill those, so don't have that issue.

>and if I get whisked off elsewhere, well, I ain't coming back.

Same here, if it ever does happen.  Mind you, that's usually 'cause IDK
where the hell I was in the first place.   :-)

--
 Regards  _
He looked the wrong way at a policeman