Re: [LUG] OT: phone/ADSL woes

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 06:58:48PM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> Turn your ADSL modem off. Leave it off for half an hour.
>
> Meanwhile, ring your phone (from your mobile) and let it ring and
> ring and ring - make sure any voicemail/answering machine is turned
> off. It should ring for 4-5 minutes before BT disconnects the call.
>
> Sometimes this can temporarilly fix a problem.

Of course, BT 1571 is turned on on this number and you can't just turn
that off :-(

(Even though we've not used it in ages.)

> Plug modem into BT test socket with all internal wiring disconnected
> then turn it on. You do not need a microfilter as all internal
> phones will be disconnected.

But you do need some special cable to plug the modem/router into the
test socket.

I actually discovered yesterday that the things were already plugged
into the test socket. I think some years ago, when the ADSL dropped
occasionally, I emperically found that it worked better this way (but
most likely mit was just luck).

> This may be enough to get you online - at least temporarily.

Temporarily might be good enough. We intend to move out in a few months'
time anyway. Which makes it all the more frustrating - I had kind
of given up on fixing the occasional problem we have.

I had also been trying to avoid involving BT, because of their
reputation to try to charge you and try to make you talk to your ISP
first. It's probably going to be unclear whether this is a problem
caused by the landlord/builders, the previous owner, BT or ourselves.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your suggestions - to the others as well! They
gave me a few more things to try.

Martijn.