Re: [LUG] OT: phone/ADSL woes

On 27/04/2014 18:58, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2014, Martijn Grooten wrote:
>
>> Nothing to do with Linux really, except that I'd like to get back online
>> with my Linux machine.
>>
>> So our phone line has always been a bit noisy. Occasioanlly this caused
>> the connection to drop (especially when the phone rang), but it always
>> came back within a minute. Yesterday the phone rang and the connection
>> went down... and hasn't come back since.
>>
>> ISP says the line is fine from their end and the BT quiet line test does
>> show a bit of noise. All of which suggests there's too much of noise on
>> the line and I need to call BT and tell them to sort it. Which I will
>> do.
>>
>> But I am (probably naively) hoping there's something I can do in the
>> meantime, given that the line has, despite its problems, given us
>> Internet for six years. Something I can reset, something that might have
>> triggered the noise to become too much.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Depending on the fault...

You said you wire line to house is old.
Intermittent connection problem can arise outside  house wire between BT
in-house box and their telephone cable from pole to house.
Very &&&&& to spot!
Reason: At some time for economy in 1970s to 1990s BT installed house
lead in wiring based on steel  wire copper coated!
With wind / weather  etc cable rubs copper off, water rusts steel,
efficient connections maintained in some weather conditions and not in
other.s. So line testing by BT from exchange is never correct (unless
they do it in a day when weather wind etc  drops connection)
Inspect the outside wiring from house ingress to top of tail connection
from outside telephone line. Any small hole wear could indicate rust
/broken connection inside cover. It took two years of diagnosis before
an old BT guy came to my house took one knowing look and fixed it!
--
regards
Eion MacDonald