Re: [LUG] Firefox blocking

On 15/04/14 20:23, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 18:34:46 +0100
bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello bad,

But it is also annoying that Firefox is a second class citizen on Debian
of all systems, with it's stupid diversion of /usr/bin/firefox to
Iceweasel, insistence on using woefully out-of-date ESR versions, lack
If you stick with stable/testing/sid versions, yes.  I've opted for
experimental, which is much more recent.  Currently v28, so not too far
off the curve.  Mind you, if that's *all* one wants from experimental,
you have to be pretty careful with your apt pinning.

So, yes;  Jumping through hoops.   :-(

Firefox is such a beast of a program and has a big pile of dependencies
I wouldn't consider it, TBH.  I compile only two programs from source.
One is Claws Mail, the other is GPS Babel.

Anyway, no one cares about my firefox woes, and quite rightly too.
Well, we do, but may be not quite as much as you do.   ;-)
I've been a Windows user since I built my first PC back in 1994, and only recently moved over almost full-time to Linux (Mint 16/Cinnamon - Debian based). As such I perhaps have a slightly different mindset to long-term Linux users. To my mind there are three priorities for software I install on Linux;

Native applications; FLOSS
Native applications; non-FLOSS
Non-Native applications

Currently I am happy to say I only use one of the second category, Turbo Print because for my printer the quality of output far outperforms the native Linux package. I don't use any Non-Native applications, but in all honesty that's because none of the ones I've tried ran in WINE and I couldn't be bothered to spend the time working out why. At some point I will probably get around to installing Windows XP and 7 in a VM because it's a pain on the occasions I do have to reboot into them.

As for the Firefox/Thunderbird situation, they are in fact what to a large extent eased my transition to Linux because I used both in Windows for years before transferring to Linux, and given that a lot of my time is spent in browsing and/or email there is no change whatsoever. Currently using Firefox 28.0 and Thunderbird 24.4.0.

Kind regards,

Julian