Re: [LUG] Firefox blocking

On 15/04/14 19:59, Simon Avery wrote:

On 15 April 2014 18:34, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyway, no one cares about my firefox woes, and quite rightly too.

I care. I care deeply.

Actually, I don't much, but I do think it's ridiculous. As a onetime debian desktop user (not currently), it has always been an absurd situation that most users couldn't give a monkeys about, only that software they want is called something else and much older than it should be. Same with Thunderbird.

If software doesn't fit debian's ethos, stick it in non-free or don't package it at all. The current situation results in insecure and outdated versions of a very commonly used piece of software.

I agree (but understand that debian is free as in freedom) I had problems with open office on Debian not opening docx files,  where as my 2nd computer this worked fine as it had ubuntu.  as a result I ended up switching  when job application forms or are in docx, and you can't open you are stuck,  between being productive and siding with an ethos you want to follow as much as possible.

OK this was a good few years ago but does highlight another down side to a system that to be free, stable etc means you have to make sacrifices.

Maybe there IS a way to provide more up to date software.   even if this is for the sake of security.

Paul