Re: [LUG] Alternative to GIMP

On 14/04/14 16:30, bad apple wrote:
> On 14/04/14 13:31, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> I  do use Gimp quite often but I find it a bit heavy going sometimes.
>> It seems to be a bit OTT for me much of the time. Very often I am
>> preparing a photo for one of my blogs so I do not need to do much.
>>
>> Very often all I do is,
>>
>> crop it a bit if needed
>> scale the image
>> sharpen it up a bit
>> check levels
>> check curves
>> add a border
>> flatten the image
>> export it to jpg
>>
>> I know that there is so much more available in Gimp but I am talking
>> about preparing a photo for showing on the web, not for printing. So I
>> am wondering if anyone could suggest a program similar to Gimp but
>> simpler to use, that is much less of a heavyweight.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Neil
>
> Might be worth trying out Krita, a KDE app - to get the latest you'll
> want to install a PPA though.
>
> sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install krita
>
> It's still pretty powerful but less weird and confusing than the Gimp.
>
> Regards

I often use Kolorpaint for quick stuff. It's another KDE based app.
Don't remember a border function but there are workarounds eg. rather
than fiddle with the border functions in Scribus I often create a white
(or other colour) image larger than the photo and plonk, the photo on
top. This should work in any half decent paint app.

Keith