Re: [LUG] Fwd: Microsoft scam man is sentenced

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 12:31:46 +0100
Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Paul,

>Do the UK police? , Don't they work with their over seas counterparts

No, they don't.  They do work with overseas counterparts, but that
doesn't mean they have jurisdiction there.  If the UK police want
somebody currently in USA for a crime, they have to apply for
extradition.

When it comes to these scam calls, as far as the police are concerned,
it's small fry, so low priority.  It's only when you get to murder,
large scale theft that the the police get into gear.  Until these scam
calls, emails, newspaper adverts and letters (for some do arrive in the
post) start getting people hurt in large numbers, there's not a lot the
police can do.

That may look as though I have a downer on the police but I don't.  They
do a difficult job with limited funds.  Much the same as other public
sector services do.  They have to prioritise.

>to investigate crimes that happen, Surely Telcos could do the same,

What do they care?  They've been paid for a new line rental.  After
that, it's a case of "Not my problem, squire".  On the few occasions
(that I'm aware of) when telco's *have* been required to take action
against a nuisance caller, it's been as a result of legal action taken
by the recipient of nuisance calls, because they were threatening in any
of several ways, and maliciously targeting a specific person or persons
over a protracted period of time.

--
 Regards  _
It's your life so go your own way