Re: [LUG] Vigor 2130n strange behaviour

On 30/03/14 22:06, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:56:54PM +0100, bad apple wrote:
>> You are the source of pretty much every worthless comment on this list.
>> Between pointless nitpicking, semantic quibbling and your annoying
>> obsession with Israeli/Palestinian politics (this is a Linux mailing
>> list, in case you haven't noticed) you are doing a damn good job of
>> single-handedly raising the signal to noise ratio here, and I don't mean
>> in a good way.
>
> Oh, come on. I'm not saying this particular post of Phil's was helpful
> in any way (nor was advice to Daniel to smash his housemates' equipment,
> even if meant tongue-in-cheek), but Phil posts a lot of links that are
> relevant to the list and to the community. (Even if I disagree with
> what's being said in about half of them.)
>
> I assume the Israeli/Palestinian links are accidental posts - aren't
> 'dclug' and 'dad' next to each other's in Phil's contact list? - but
> are a sweet reminder that there are problems compared with which getting
> the world to run Linux is trivial.
>
> Martijn.

Fair point, and I'm more than happy to read Phil's admittedly quite
frequent posting of intriguing links from around the internet - even
when he subsequently fails at reading comprehension and attacks me
despite being the only person on the list who agreed with his original
point (i.e., the recent entirely avoidable spat on DNS). He has a
serious issue with coming across as condescending prick as well, which
is another problem entirely of his own making.

There have been way too many occurrences of middle eastern politics in
his linking for it to be entirely accidental and I couldn't care less if
"Dad" is next to "DCLUG" in his address book. In my address book, DCLUG
is next to "Digital Users Group" yet I somehow seem capable of not
sending you all emails about Alphas and VAX/VMS. From that it would
follow that I'm a genius, if it wasn't for the fact that every other
single person on the entire list is also capable of not doing it!

So, maybe my response was a bit harsh but fair is fair: if you drop a
flippant, condescending and patronising reply to someone on a mailing
list perhaps it's not too surprising if they come back and call you on
it, particularly if that person happens to me. Seriously, it's not like
nobody could have seen that coming...

I was always told never to argue with idiots because they will first
drag you down to their level, and then win with their greater
experience. Now, I'm not calling Phil an idiot (I genuinely like the
fellow and respect the actually valuable technical information he posts)
but I am saying he occasionally acts like an idiot. Or at least posts
like one sometimes.

Regards