Re: [LUG] [OT] Advice for cheap wifi signal boosting

n 31.03.2014 00:12, Julian Hall wrote:
On 30/03/14 21:47, bad apple wrote:
Actually, all this talk of wifi has just reminded me of something I
meant to ask the list.

In my rarely-seen benevolent mode (I do actually have one, believe it or
not) I promised to help out a friend who has just moved into a hostel
for young at-risk people. The place is unsurprisingly run on a
shoestring budget and being quite large (approx 15 rooms on three
floors), and made with very solid old fashioned walls and hefty
firedoors everywhere, the wifi signal from the crappy Sky-supplied
Sagecom router/modem barely reaches beyond the single room where it
happens to be installed.

Before I even start on sorting out their network and access controls in
general, I initially need to boost the signal throughout the entire
property. Now normally when I do this it's at businesses who happily
splash out on big expensive gear - often with a Cisco badge on it - that
I'm quite familiar with but this is a different environment from what
I'm used to.

Their budget is effectively zero but I don't mind spending some of my
own cash to get a TP-link repeater or something, which I'd rather do
than muck about with cantennas and tinfoil for a DIY solution.

So anyone got some good, concrete recommendations for consumer level
gear to this purpose, preferably something that you've used yourself
successfully? I initially thought to replace the router's aerial with a
proper one but sadly the Sagecom only has an internal aerial, so it
would probably be more trouble than it's worth. I also had a look
through my box of old/spare wifi routers to see if any of them could be
repurposed but annoyingly not one of them offers the functionality (I
thought it was supposed to be common?) or supports reflashing with a
decent firmware like Tomato, etc.

Much obliged for any suggestions.

Regards

I know it's not what you were asking - and a relatively expensive option given the zero budget - but would a Powerline solution work? It would be more reliable and faster than WiFi, or would the residents be more often using kit that has no Ethernet port, such as phones, tablets and the like? Possibly worth investing in one Powerline set with another wireless router say on the first floor to maximise range while minimising outlay, or maybe even one on each floor so each WiFi router only has to reach its own floor?  The Powerline plugs would set you back a bit, but the routers perhaps not so much?

Just a thought.

Julian

there are powerline wifi plugs, basically a plug with an aerial and some basic security options. They actually put out quite a powerful signal if the electrics are up to it - equal if not better than a wifi bridge between two routers I reckon. But yes, zero budget is a problem...

www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk