Re: [LUG] Vigor 2130n strange behaviour

Dear Phill and Meowski.

Not sure where to start the reply to your emails, should I be pleased that you think I can do better than MAC filtering WPA2 AES CSM Isolated WLAN's custom DNS server, Hardware NAT / Firewall, URL filtering or should I be disheartened that it's not enough.

All I'm trying to achieve with MAC filtering is to put an IP address to each device, separate each device to each owner, then give each owner its own private LAN which is inaccessible to anyone else.

For some reason when I enable wireless LAN access control I am no longer able to connect devices to their own SSID even when it would seem all settings are present and correct.

If you feel I can get more security from this router please advise. Any suggestions for what on earth is going on when I enable MAC filtering will be greatly received.

Kind Regards

On 30 Mar 2014 18:33, "bad apple" <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 30/03/14 18:18, Philip Hudson wrote:
> On 30 March 2014 18:11, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Maybe start here:
>>
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/AskNetsec/comments/16pi8q/why_is_mac_filtering_useless/
>

> First sentence in the top answer:
>
>> It's not useless against unskilled attackers.

Yeah, try and read past the first sentence wise guy...

Don't make me regurgitate the same old tired arguments about MAC
filtering, that ship has sailed. If you are using it as part of your
"security approach" you are a failure. This is not arguable.

Regards