Re: [LUG] OT: Advice for Windows XP Users

On 30/03/14 15:54, Martijn Grooten wrote:

> I've heard horror stories about hospitals still runnnig XP. That sounds
> bad, but I'm not sure that the alternative - upgrading to Windows 7/8
> without serious testing and training - in such a case is better.

Agreed, which is why your CTO started this process in 2007 or earlier,
right?

Met Office use to have a few keen geeky souls living life on the edge
with beta versions of whatever Microsoft had in the pipe line back in
the early 90's, figuring out what had to change, what worked, what
didn't. Not as if Microsoft are Canonical with a new major release each
6 months. 4 major desktop releases in 13 years (okay 5 is you count
Windows 8.1), one techie can test a fair amount of stuff in 3.25 years.

I agree for hardware manufacturers it is a pain, but if the OS doesn't
have a planned maintenance for the supported life time of your
product/project use one that does, or plan to do something else (open
source offering you can maintain, or consortium can maintain).

IBM are happily maintaining backward compatibility to stuff that is
older than I am, for a price. Okay an extreme example perhaps, but it
makes the point, this isn't a new problem, just a new instance of one of
the oldest problem in IT (and engineering in general).