Re: [LUG] OT: Advice for Windows XP Users

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 02:41:19PM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> If you still have Windows XP in big organisations anywhere but in legacy
> browser testing, you should consider sacking the CTO, and get a more
> dynamic one. This is not a technology problem, and won't be fixed by
> technology. This is entirely about business maintenance procedures. How
> do you ensure you can support what you have, and have what you can
> support. Smaller companies can just go buy some new machines this week.

While I don't disagree with this (or the rest of your post) for your
average run-of-the-mill company (and for all I know the majority of
organisations still running Windows XP are like that), the example
that tends to be used for companies 'forced' to run XP are those running
some kind of custom-made software package that only runs XP. Even if you
do what seems most sensible and ditch your software provider, it will
take a long time until someone else has written a replacement package.

I've heard horror stories about hospitals still runnnig XP. That sounds
bad, but I'm not sure that the alternative - upgrading to Windows 7/8
without serious testing and training - in such a case is better.

Martijn.