Re: [LUG] Routing around damage

On 23/03/14 11:33, Philip Hudson wrote:
> You may not recognize the syndrome I identified and accused Martin of,
> but it is very real. It is reactionary, anti-egalitarian, elitist, and
> protectionist. It has arisen over and over again in opposition to
> every extension or enhancement of user-friendliness, user empowerment
> and user freedom, and no doubt will continue to do so in the future.

Whilst I totally agree with your original point - that DNS is basically
crap, and needs fixing - here you are once again over-reaching and being
rather naive. You've done this several times on this list.

I'm all for user friendliness/freedom/etc and look forward to a time
when I am no longer required with my decades of hard won hard core IT
skills. But that is never going to happen Phil - you might as well be
arguing for users to wire their own houses, perform their own medical
procedures or write their own astrophysics papers.

COMPUTERS ARE INCREDIBLY COMPLEX.

They will ALWAYS require seriously skilled professionals to marshal them
in their hordes in the datacentres, write complex routing algorithms for
them to talk to each other and evolve the latest incredible OS advances.
This isn't protectionism on our part: you might as well be accusing
neurosurgeons of being anti-egalitarian for clinging on to their
precious skills and not "opening them up to users". You're also ignoring
the painfully obvious fact that the vast majority of IT users quite
frankly couldn't give a crap about any aspect of their under the hood
operations and that goes double for incomprehensible IT gobbledy-gook
about crap like DNS, proxies and firewalls. They'd look upon your
earnest and well-meaning but completely unrealistic to liberate them
from the clutches of us evil IT professionals with disbelief. We're just
IT guys you know, not a cast of priest-kings gleefully withholding the
forbidden knowledge...

Stop being silly Phil.

Regards