Re: [LUG] Routing around damage

On 22 March 2014 22:39, Martijn Grooten <martijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But I wouldn't call it a "serious bug in the Internet". Definitely not
> until you suggest some "fixes for the systemic bug",

I refer you back to the first post in this thread, which links to
precisely that. Again, I request that you read it and comment *on its
content*.

What I object to so strongly is precisely the negative,
obstructionist, bogus pretexts for not fixing DNS (which even you seem
to agree is a system with multiple defects, shortcomings, call it what
you will -- the standard term of  art is "bug") that are being thrown
up as reason not to pursue this fix.

You may not recognize the syndrome I identified and accused Martin of,
but it is very real. It is reactionary, anti-egalitarian, elitist, and
protectionist. It has arisen over and over again in opposition to
every extension or enhancement of user-friendliness, user empowerment
and user freedom, and no doubt will continue to do so in the future.
This is undeniable; we all know it's true and can probably all cite
instances. It's also understandable: power and prestige are at stake
-- trivial amounts, perhaps, but they may not look so trivial to
people who depend on them for a good living. One more thing about it:
it always loses, and eventually, as good tech drives out bad and the
opponents' true character becomes clearer and clearer over time, you
can't find anyone who admits to having backed it. Everyone always knew
it was a good thing after all!

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63