Re: [LUG] Routing around damage

On 20/03/14 21:43, Philip Hudson wrote:
> On 20 March 2014 21:20, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014, Brad Rogers wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 20:29:07 +0000
>>> Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Simon,

>>> The law is moving towards disagreeing with that.  Govt. seems to be
>>> pushing for ISPs to police the internet, so the police don't have to.
>>> Worryingly, many people seem to approve.
>>

>> You might find it's not the government, but the copyright holders - who then
>> lobby the government, so it looks like the government who does the damage,
>> but really, they're just the puppets of those who have the most money and
>> strongest lobbying power.
>
> Spot on. Bear in mind, too, that the "content cartel" do not by any
> means constrain themselves to working with, for and through the law.

Or even thinking the laws they lobby for should apply to them.

If people can be fined 6-7 figures for downloading a few songs should
not many media (and software) companies be paying in the 9-12 figure
range for some of the things they get up to?

> They can and do happily masquerade as legal enforcers themselves if
> they think they can get away with it, and they can and do "influence"
> genuine enforcement agencies to act in their commercial interest
> beyond any legal powers, even to the extent of getting the City of
> London police (for example) to make utterly groundless threats and
> issue unenforceable orders promoting LA-based commercial sites for
> them (now stopped following public exposure).

Another fairly common tactic would be that of threatening lawsuits. Even
appearing to go through the legal process, but dropping the case at the
last moment if it looks like it will actually be looked at by a judge.