Re: [LUG] Routing around damage

On 20/03/14 21:43, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 20 March 2014 21:20, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 20:29:07 +0000
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

ISP = Internet Service Provider.

Not a police force, not a guardian of my moral welfare, not a nanny,

The law is moving towards disagreeing with that.  Govt. seems to be
pushing for ISPs to police the internet, so the police don't have to.
Worryingly, many people seem to approve.

You might find it's not the government, but the copyright holders - who then
lobby the government, so it looks like the government who does the damage,
but really, they're just the puppets of those who have the most money and
strongest lobbying power.
t,  the internet will only remain free as long as there is someone to fight the
corner of freedom.
Spot on. Bear in mind, too, that the "content cartel" do not by any
means constrain themselves to working with, for and through the law.
They can and do happily masquerade as legal enforcers themselves if
they think they can get away with it, and they can and do "influence"
genuine enforcement agencies to act in their commercial interest
beyond any legal powers, even to the extent of getting the City of
London police (for example) to make utterly groundless threats and
issue unenforceable orders promoting LA-based commercial sites for
them (now stopped following public exposure).

If you are the intellectual property holder (e.g copy right holder) of anything then you have the same right to do this if you take a photo it is YOUR ip, if I download and use it, without your permission it is a breach of copyright, if you release as creative commons, attribute and make it clear who the holder of work is, and I don't attribute it to you, YOU have rights,

at least this is how I understand things

the difference is you probably don't' earn millions and hire your own legal team to go after people who use your IP without the appropriate permission or within the boundaries of the license it is under.

Most people just pay up rather than risk losing everything in a court

Paul