Re: [LUG] Routing around damage

On 20 March 2014 19:30, Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anyway, it's trivial to route any P2P traffic over SSH -- will you
> block that next? :)

Never mind ssh, pretty much 100% of "illegal" file-sharing uses HTTP
at least in part, which I think makes the case against blanket
blocking of protocols as clear as can be.

I use scare-quotes around "illegal" because legality is contingent on
various factors, not all of them precise, some of them varying with
time (laws coming into and going out of effect, grants of rights
expiring) and space (jurisdiction, treaty signatories), and some of
them difficult or impossible to know in advance (license holders'
attitudes, beliefs and desires). As a matter of principle, under the
rule of law, legality can only be decided post-hoc -- that is, after
the event -- and by proper authority, not by you or me. Even then,
this is precisely the kind of area where juridical findings may be
(felt or believed to be) in conflict with the dictates of conscience
and morality, sufficient to warrant civil disobedience.

There is a great deal to be said on this matter, and if it's
surprising to find a low level of awareness of the issues on this
list, then it's also good discipline for the enlightened to make the
case for freedom over and over again, however often it's required.

If there's one crucial message I want to try to communicate, it's
this: those who claim to need to take away your freedom to protect you
and your loved ones from terrorists and paedophiles are always lying.
It's pure snake oil; don't buy it. Please, please, try to remember
this. They know that those panic-button words make you lose your head;
that's precisely why they use them. Just ask whether they have an
agenda that's different from what they claim, and the answer always
leaps out at you: of course they do. There has never been, and there
never will be, an example of moral-panic censorship powers not leading
very quickly to overreach, abuse, manipulation, and use for other
ends, not least -- inevitably and especially -- the suppression of
dissent.

So, to get back to the topic... fixing the centralized control of
Internet domain names is a very worthy cause. Using P2P tech to do it
is simply using the necessary, sufficient and optimal tool for the
job. When I started the thread I assumed everyone would get that
straight away. Live and learn, I guess. Anyway, what I was expecting
was *technical* objections, like, that's a hell of a lot of data to
replicate, and so on. I mean, it is, isn't it? I read that right,
didn't I? Does massive redundancy and parallelism solve that issue?

OMG, it's just occurred to me. Maybe you all just don't want freedom!
Apparently it's a well-known condition in psychology, with a fancy
name and everything. You *like* living in your DNS walled garden and
you love, trust, admire, respect, consent and defer to your ICANN
masters and their registrar gatekeepers. Perhaps what we're talking
about here is nothing less than upsetting the natural order, the
divinely ordained state of all things IP-resolvable as it has always
been and must forever remain: unchanging, unchallenged, unquestioned.
unaccountable to the likes of you and me, who do best when we simply
know our place and accept it. How foolish of me! In which case maybe I
shouldn't trouble you again with this stuff.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63