Re: [LUG] Microsoft Outlook Alternatives

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:49:36 +0000, Henry Bremridge
<henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:00:54AM +0000, Tom wrote:
>> You can connect thunderbird into your google mail and calenders
>> which actually makes it pretty useful - you can use the web
>> interface from most devices - even your fridge soon!
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> Would ideally like to avoid Google and would ideally like to avoid
> Exchange. ie a clean switch to open source and avoid license fees
>
> I have to have internet explorer because there are some sites that
insist
> on it.

How about OpenChange?

It's basically an Exchange compatible server which works alongside Samba
4.  It can give Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate desktops the ability to authenticate
against Active Directory meaning each PC doesn't have to have a user setup,
as long as the machine is on the domain they can login, and optionally use
roaming profiles too so they can get their documents and desktop items too.

The OpenChange side of things offers a compatibility layer between SOGo
groupware and Outlook.  So the users can either use Outlook or reasonably
good SoGo web interface (which should work with all modern browsers).  They
can have calendaring, mail, contacts etc.

The mail side of things uses IMAP mail servers (Courier-IMAP is
recommended from what I've found) and it can integrate with your existing
SMTP server too.

Other than that you might want to consider Zimbra but this is way more
power hungry than SOGo (although SOGo can be a little bit of a pain to
install).

Rob