Re: [LUG] router operating mode

On 16/02/14 21:45, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 16/02/2014 21:22, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am trying to set up an old router so it can act as a DHCP server for
>> pi jams,  for people that just need to connect 2 or more computers
>> together.  looking at the operating mode I have the following options
>
> Unplug the router from your existing network for starters.  Plug your
> netbook/laptop/desktop/internet enabled cat into the router with an
> Ethernet cable and then go to the web interface.
>
> What you need to look for is probably under LAN settings (ignore WAN
> stuff).
>
> Set the LAN IP address of the router to something like 192.168.1.254
> with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
>
> There's probably an option to enable DHCP Server on the router.  Make
> sure this is ticked/enabled and then give it a range of something like
> 192.168.1.1 to 192.158.1.250.
>
> Save the settings, optionally reboot the router (some routers seem to
> require this) and fingers crossed when you plug a device in it'll get
> a 192.168.1.X address.
>
> Other way I'd suggest is having a Pi with a static IP address running
> DNSMasq or isc-dhcp-server to dish out IP addresses (it could also be
> configured to link to an existing wifi network and then act as a
> router and even a caching proxy server).
>
> If any of this doesn't make any sense or the options are different on
> your router let us know the make and model and we can look into it
> further (I'm just going from memory of what I've seen on Linksys and
> Netgear routers).
>
> Rob

Ok thanks,  will have a go,  or its something for people to play with at
the next pi jam in Paignton.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam  8th March 2014 - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.