Re: [LUG] router operating mode

On 16/02/2014 21:22, Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

I am trying to set up an old router so it can act as a DHCP server for
pi jams,  for people that just need to connect 2 or more computers
together.  looking at the operating mode I have the following options

Unplug the router from your existing network for starters. Plug your netbook/laptop/desktop/internet enabled cat into the router with an Ethernet cable and then go to the web interface.

What you need to look for is probably under LAN settings (ignore WAN stuff).

Set the LAN IP address of the router to something like 192.168.1.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

There's probably an option to enable DHCP Server on the router. Make sure this is ticked/enabled and then give it a range of something like 192.168.1.1 to 192.158.1.250.

Save the settings, optionally reboot the router (some routers seem to require this) and fingers crossed when you plug a device in it'll get a 192.168.1.X address.

Other way I'd suggest is having a Pi with a static IP address running DNSMasq or isc-dhcp-server to dish out IP addresses (it could also be configured to link to an existing wifi network and then act as a router and even a caching proxy server).

If any of this doesn't make any sense or the options are different on your router let us know the make and model and we can look into it further (I'm just going from memory of what I've seen on Linksys and Netgear routers).

Rob