[LUG] router operating mode

Hi

I am trying to set up an old router so it can act as a DHCP server for
pi jams,  for people that just need to connect 2 or more computers
together.  looking at the operating mode I have the following options

    Mode

    WAN

    LAN
    Router

    RFC1483Routed

    DHCP server enabled & global IP address
    Bridge

    RFC1483Bridge

    DHCP server enabled
    NAT

    RFC1483Routed & global IP address

    DHCP server enabled
    NAT2

    RFC1483Bridge & global IP address

    DHCP server enabled
    PPPoE+NAT

    RFC1483Bridge & RFC2516

    DHCP server enabled
    PPPoA+NAT

    RFC2364

    DHCP server enabled

Just wondered which is the one I need for this,  essentially it is a
case of plug in,  to mains, turn on,  i can connect the lan out to a
hub, so anything plugged in to the hub should get an ip address, from
the router,

the current address seems to be 192.168.1.9 however it seems to be
getting that from my main router, as its plugged in to that so i can
access the control panel.

can anyone help please, i was thinking it could be something like nat or
nat2,

there is no reason to need the internet (or having to go through the
library wifi) to simply get an ip address for peer to peer connections,
a cable does the trick if both are set to static, but that only allows 2
computers to connect directly this may be more flexible,.  plus it gets
round any restrictions on using ssh over wifi, essentially creating a
mini network independent of library wifi,

can anyone help please

thanks

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam  8th March 2014 - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.