[LUG] Suggested Online Mailing List Admin please

Hi All,

I've recently become involved in a local volunteer run museum, and I've noticed since there is a moderate volume of email generated between members. It occurred to me tonight that it might be more productive, and also enable us to promote activities easier, if we had a mailing list such as the LUG operates. As I'm the only one with any depth of IT knowledge it would fall to me to operate, and I've just discovered that simply turning my PC off when I'm not on it for a few hours in the evenings saves about 7% of our electricity bill, so it's not going to be staying on 24/7 and therefore wouldn't be running the mail server locally. As I mentioned, the museum is volunteer run, so a free solution (libre) would be preferable.

A brief Google resulted in Mailman. As I am a total mail admin novice I would appreciate any advice on setup and administration of it. I've looked at the features page, but as I said I'm a total novice in this area, so I'm not even sure what features I would need.

Any input would be welcome. I haven't even made the suggestion to them yet, but if they do go for it I'd like to be able to say I know what I'm doing.

Kind regards,

Julian