Re: [LUG] Suggested Online Mailing List Admin please

Julian Hall wrote:

> A brief Google resulted in Mailman.  As I am a total mail admin novice I
> would appreciate any advice on setup and administration of it.  I've
> looked at the features page, but as I said I'm a total novice in this
> area, so I'm not even sure what features I would need.

I would outsource in your shoes.

Much as I enjoyed installing and maintaining mailing list software in the
past, it has got harder and more complex, and thus less rewarding in the
intervening years.

Find a commercial provider, or someone who is already running Mailman, and
just get a list added to their setup. You'll probably be the perfect
person to manage the list within Mailman, but will be spared the pain of
spam, broken mail server configs and the like.

That said it isn't hard and once you get a Mailman instance up, and the
email config nice and stable, it doesn't take much feeding ongoing. But
getting there is a pain, and for a single mailing list a virtual server
with Mailman is a bit expensive given there are free, or advertising
supported solutions.

Also unless they are quite IT literate, consider a forum with suitable
push (Email, RSS, SMS, IM) may be easier for folks to use and more
palatable. I really like email lists, but that is probably because I use
email a lot and it holds no fear or secrets (well except how to configure
DKIM properly with Postfix, and how to make SIEVE work "just the way I
want").