Re: [LUG] eee pc & Ubuntu

On 01/02/14 23:15, Kevin Lucas wrote:
> No it has worked fine for about 3 months after the fan and Ram,
> It does a fast boot so no bios shown ( a red herring)
>
> Yes to OS after update came up with the Display fully Dimmed.

Ok, I follow you now. Well, that's good news then - it's just some
stupid Linux bug that's the problem, and that's going to be hopefully
relatively easy to diagnose and fix.

Did you try the Grub stanza edit? That's the first avenue of attack and
the most likely to succeed, before we start playing with Xbacklight and
other possible causes. Incorrect ACPI tables and stupid Ubuntu kernel
configs will be at the root of this I predict (my crappy little Aspire
One netbook has the same chipset so I'm pretty familiar with it's many,
many foibles).

My netbook for some incomprehensible reason boots, displays BIOS + Grub,
shows about 15 seconds of Lubuntu starting - about enough to get to the
"enter LUKS password to decrypt root" prompt - and then blanks the
screen for exactly 30 seconds, every time. After 30 secs the screen
jumps back to life - if I type the password in blind whilst it's blanked
it successfully unlocks and begins the boot process however, so it's not
like it's hung up or something. No matter what I do, the screen blanking
on boot always lasts exactly 30 seconds, regardless of whether I log in
or wait for it. I have *absolutely no idea* why this happens and have
just to come to regard it as one of netbook's 'quirks'.

Regards