Re: [LUG] eee pc & Ubuntu

On 01/02/14 19:45, bad apple wrote:
> Or did you say that the laptop's screen is physically broken?

Ok, I re-read your email more carefully and it isn't broken. But it is
now booting up from cold fully dimmed right, so even the BIOS doesn't
display? Can you use the Fn keys to raise brightness during the initial
POST? I can think of lots of reasons why whichever Linux you're using
might be accidentally starting fully dimmed (recent kernels have had
'issues' with the notoriously flaky Intel GMA chipsets) but it's
definitely less clear why even the BIOS would be starting up like that,
before the OS gains control. That would seem to indicate a hardware
issue - you've obviously recently taken it apart so perhaps a lead or
ribbon was accidentally left partially connected or something has shaken
loose?

No idea what's up with your weird rotated screen issue either, although
it's presumably also because something else more fundamental is wrong.
If you can get into your BIOS, check and see if it has any settings for
brightness and if so, make sure they're not set to Auto. Usually you can
select User Controlled or similar, which should allow you to toggle the
screen brightness as usual with the correct Fn keys even during boot.

Regards