[LUG] eee pc & Ubuntu

Hi all I had to share this as it's so frustrating its unbelievable...

I have a eee pc which has run many flavours of linux but now after
replacing CPU fan and adding 1 gig of RAM is pretty good as a portable
system around the house.

So 2 weeks ago it updates and I put it away and come again to use it (to
show someone how to set up their new router.. and it boots up with no
display...? (it skips any bios message)

Well its 6 years old and even though Ive just updated it I am not
surprised the display has failed.  So I think I can use it as a Netflix
gadget on the telly in the back room as it has Wireless and a reasonable
graphics chipset, so I plug it in and want to set the screen saver to
not come on and if its sleeping to wake up on keyboard. Also the GDM set
to the Telly display so we can login.

  In doing this I can only have Separate displays or Mirrored Displays
but the combinations have one or the other screens rotated not both in
landscape.. This is ok as the laptop display has died. To finalise the
settings I look at the Display Brightness and Lock to set up no Dimming
and no Turn off display after time, and guess what
I see the slider for the Display is all the way to the left!

So sliding it up I get the laptop display appear but rotated

So use the laptop as normal and forget about Netflicks etc or carry on
and fix it so both displays work in landscape.. what do you think of my
chances?

It has an Intel 945 graphics controller .

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
A dedicated Linux user