Re: [LUG] Commandeering X

This is worth writing a howto starting by describing the use case and then distilling the cleverness called firth here and putting it in the Web.

From Dr Adrian Midgley's hand

On 24 Jan 2014 12:20, "Philip Hudson" <phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 23 January 2014 18:47, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
here is how.

<snip instructions to stop mdm and try startx>
I refer you back to my first post, in which I do exactly that. However, you then take it further, to -- finally, I hope -- get past the xauth blockage that had me stumped.
dpkg-reconfigure x11-common

Here choose "anybody",

This looks hopeful! Thanks. I'll try it sometime later today and report back.

BTW, your list of desktop environments/session managers excludes "exec ratpoison" (what I do now) and "exec stumpwm" (what I will do when I grow up). How could you. :-)

http://ratpoison.wxcvbn.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl
http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/

--
Phil Hudson         Âhttp://hudson-it.no-ip.biz