Re: [LUG] Commandeering X

On 23 January 2014 18:47, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
here is how.

<snip instructions to stop mdm and try startx>

I refer you back to my first post, in which I do exactly that. However, you then take it further, to -- finally, I hope -- get past the xauth blockage that had me stumped.

dpkg-reconfigure x11-common

Here choose "anybody",

This looks hopeful! Thanks. I'll try it sometime later today and report back.

BTW, your list of desktop environments/session managers excludes "exec ratpoison" (what I do now) and "exec stumpwm" (what I will do when I grow up). How could you. :-)

http://ratpoison.wxcvbn.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl
http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz