Re: [LUG] SIDUS

On 23/01/14 13:21, Philip Hudson wrote:
> Is this as clever as it sounds?
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/sidus%E2%80%94-solution-extreme-deduplication-operating-system

Not really - I'm not going to knock them at all, but any half decent
cadre of sysadmins running big enough systems are going to be doing
very, very similar things. Largely, that's how we all automate our
stuff: DHCP gets fed MACs and you control your assets by booting them
via TFTP or BOOTP initially and then injecting them with the correct
kernel & initrd for role/job/admin as appropriate. NFS roots and iSCSI
targets back on the deduped SAN (I use ZFS for that, the same as this
guy recommends at the end of his article) are business as usual, as are
tweaking parameters and installs afterwards with Puppet, etc (which he
also mentions).

I'm actually going to read through it again because there are some
definite novelties in his approach, particularly some ingenious
debootstrapping, but 90% of what he mentions you will going on in any
sensibly administered server room or data centre. Although he mentions
some machines are deployed for hosting Virtualbox installs, the major
difference is that at least in my environments, we make much heavier use
of virtualization and pre-built images to stage to our boxes.

Regards