Re: [LUG] Etiquette was Re: Lightening this morning ...

On 07/01/14 19:37, Simon Avery wrote:
On 7 January 2014 18:45, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/01/14 18:05, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> I was physically abused with the belt and yard stick and verbally abused

I find it terrifying that that sort of thing actually happened in living
memory, over something as trivial as spelling errors. It's amazing to me
that dyslexia only really started to be appreciated for what it is so
recently, and so many bright but dyslexic people got so much stick
(literally) for it all the way up into the 70s? 80s?

<SNIP>
I don't enjoy jokes about dyslexia, but it doesn't offend me much. I find it curious that people who otherwise wouldn't otherwise dream of causing offence are so easy about using this as a joke about bad spelling, as if it's somehow not real.

Everyone has their drawbacks and problems. At least I've got a name for mine. It's great that nowadays much more is understood about it and kids get a lot more support and understanding, and the then accepted habit of grown men standing over and shouting at little boys who can't understand something for five minutes in front of a whole class has largely disappeared.
It's impossible for anyone on the list to know - unless I've mentioned it before and you have a better memory than me [1] - but I have Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus, the most obvious manifestation of which is that I use a wheelchair full-time.  In that I suppose in a way I have an advantage over those with learning difficulties - apologies of course if that phrase offends, it is not intended to in any way - because my disability is blindingly obvious whereas you cannot see just by looking at someone that they are dyslexic, or have Asperger's etc.

Not directly related to the disability but as a separate issue my left hand is only about 50% useful (and that's being generous).  As a result of the latter I commonly make typos [2] and as the hand issue only cropped up when I was 30 (I'm 43 now) it irritates the hell out of me, so although I am not dyslexic myself I can sympathise to a degree with those who are and are sensitive about typing errors.  With regard to remarks people make about disability in general, and mine specifically, I always try - not always successfully it has to be said - to be aware of the intent of the comment.  If someone is extracting a specific bodily fluid and/or being malicious I will most likely lose my temper, however if their intention is humorous - laughing /with/ me not /at/ me that is - I tend to laugh along with them.

The comedian Dave Gorman made a comment once that I personally entirely agree with.  If the disabled - in any form - wish to be accepted into society then they must accept that humour is part of that.  One of my favourite jokes (aural sadly so would not translate to the list well) is about my own disability.

However, that is my own personal stance based on my life experiences which have been nothing like as severe as some of those shared in this thread, and it is /not/ my place - nor would I wish - to preach or criticise anyone who does not share my view.  Just sharing my way of dealing with comments about disability in general and mine in particular :)

If I may finish on my own personal rebuttal to comments about my typing that I have received;  I use a smell chucker to avoid embarrassing smelling pistakes.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] The second part would not be a great stretch TBH! :)
[2]  I lost count of the corrections I made before sending this.