Re: [LUG] Etiquette was Re: Lightening this morning ...

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014, Simon Waters wrote:

Still trying to work out if Gordon is offended or is just taking the Michael out of those who would correct him over pedantries or both.

The former, not the latter.

All through my school days I was continually reprimanded by my teachers for my dreadful spelling and handwriting. Dyslexia hadn't been invented at that point - neither had computers. So I was continually told I'd never do well.

I found that quite hard to bear at school. Marks deducted from a maths exam because I spelt something wrong. That sort of thing. (And yes, that used to happen - I was physically abused with the belt and yard stick and verbally abused for being a rotten writer).

I eventually got to loath those who told me I had bad spelling as what I was writing was intelligible, yet people wanted to criticise me for it.

What I find hurtful now is that some people just can't comprehend that people like me do not know when a spelling misteak has been made. (ok, that was deliberate) I see Lighetning and Lightning and they both look identical to me. I'm unable to tell the different at a glance. I know how to spell words, I just can't see that they're not right. I have to count the letters one by one. Sure, I use spell chequers, I *have* to, but the one thing my current spiel checker doesn't cheque is the subject line.

(I didn't bother running it in my last email - count the errors if you like, but point then out to me and I'll just be abusive)

So it pisses me off no-end when people correct my spelling, or point it out to me (Unless I've asked you to) - as for my teachers who said I'd not do well - well, they were right about the handwriting, but that doesn't seem to have stopped me being successful and good at what I do - screw them is what I say. (and would say to them if most of them were not dead by now...)

So be a pedantic grunt if you want to, but not to me because I'll just give you the abuse I feel you deserve for getting a smug git. We're not all perfect.

    Ode to the Spell Checker

    Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue