Re: [LUG] FTTC and Zen

On 06/01/14 19:29, Simon Avery wrote:
Thought this might interest the odd user.

Nice surprise today. Noticed before xmas another of our sites had
finally become eligable for fttc so contacted our main isp, Zen, for an
upgrade.

Long and short of it:

 From £23/pcm to £30 (Business)

 From 3.5mbit to estimated 40 down.

 From 0.7 mbit to estimated 10 up.

 From a 100 GB pcm bandwidth cap to UNLIMITED!

5-10 working days install and no throttling or traffic shaping. (And Zen
are generally low contention too)

Quite pleased about this as it's our busiest site with about 30 users
and should make a big difference. It's semi-rural, hence the poor adsl
speeds.

(The other site, some six months or so ago, took about 30 days to
install, cost about £50 for the install and has a 100 GB cap)

We have a secondary talktalk connection which we're balancing to achieve
useful speeds over, and we'll probably keep that as failover for the
buttons it costs.

Now, just need my home connection to be enabled and I shall be a little
happier!

Thanks for that. We had FTTC enabled here in Holsworthy last month and I have been looking around to decide which ISP to go for. My current one is not so good for fibre, and I had just today decided on Zen. I plan to start it all rolling tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone on the list had any experience with Zen and so your email was very welcome. My set up is just for home, not business so I won't need so much bandwidth as you do. I am also thinking of moving my phone set up to them also. Do you use Zen for phones too? I think it is probably a good idea to have the phone and broadband set up together. Your comments would be welcome.

Neil