Re: [LUG] Desktop Linux

On 27/12/13 16:21, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Bad
>
> On Friday, December 27, 2013, bad apple wrote:
>>

>> If you want to go native with ZFS you could also build a vanilla FreeBSD
>> server or just go with FreeNAS, which sounds like it will do everything
>> you want it to anyway. But you *really* should go with ZFS, one way
>>

> Thanks for the reply. FreeNAS runs ZFS native so it looks like that is the
> way to go. So is there any need for the second hard drive at the moment
> please? Can I add one as and when I need to?
>
> If so, buy a second HD, install FreeNAS and I'm away!
>
> Thanks for the help. Is it worth writing an article on my findings for the
> website please?
>
> Rich

Well personally, I'd start with one drive for the OS and at least two
drives for the RAIDZ storage, but you can add extra drives at any point
to a ZFS pool so if you want to get started with just one then go ahead.

Certainly write down your experience for the list or the site, there's
no such thing as too much information!

Regards