Re: [LUG] Ignoring Linux Mint Upgrade Advice

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 18:20:46 +0000, George Parker
<georgeparker20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That Mr Meowski, I thought, he often seems to know what he's talking
> about, and I need to upgrade to Mint 16 so I'll give it a go. What can
> go wrong if I follow the instructions, eh?
>
> Run through number 1 did nothing at all, but that was because I'd
> forgotten that my install was Mint 14. Round 1 to Mr Meowski.
>
> I thought I'd better upgrade one version at a time so for run through
> number 2 I adjusted the sed lines to Nadia/olivia and quantal/raring and

> off we went.  The upgrade took about 1.5 hours, down to broadband speed
> I suppose, and went off without a hitch. Everything seems to be working.

> Round 2 to Mr Meowski.
>
> Run through number 3 was the final upgrade to Mint 16. Again about 1.5
> hours and again seemed to work OK. But when I rebooted my Mate desktop
> setup had disappeared and it booted into a temporary Gnome setup. But it

> did boot to a desktop and it was trivial to re-install Mate and
> everything else seems to be working OK. So, I have to also concede round

> 3 to Mr Meowski. A resounding win for the Bad Apple.
>
> I think this could safely go into the LUG how-to's with maybe a note on
> what to put in the sed lines. (It also intrigued me enough to go and
> find out what the sed lines did).
>
> Thank you Mr Meowski.
>
> George

Interesting, I was always under the impression that upgrading from one
Mint release to another (other than the Debian edition) was a bad idea, but
that was on an early version so maybe things have changed.

There's a guide on the Mint web site here which explains the whole
process... http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Personally, 3 odd hours to upgrade seems like a lot of time tbh.  While
I'm now running Mint Debian edition (which has rolling upgrades, but some
risk of breakage) I keep my data on a separate home partition, that way I
can blat root, install a fresh copy of Mint and away I go settings intact
(okay, I do take a backup of any changes I've made in /etc and possibly
keep a note of what extra packages I've installed).  Generally an upgrade
like this takes about half an hour from a USB stick (maybe sometimes an
hour if my broadband is running slowly).

Rob