Re: [LUG] Ignoring Linux Mint Upgrade Advice

On 10/12/13 19:06, Tremayne, Steve wrote:
> +1 for the arch guide...
>
> I've got Arch running in a VM (before I do it "for real" on some
> hardware), but I didn't get the desktop to work - I was trying to get
> Enlightenment to run, rather than the usual Gnome/KDE defaults, so if
> you're feeling like a challenge, then that's where I'm falling off
> the trail...
>
> Thanks!

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm aiming at: essentially a
cheat-sheet for people to relatively quickly just throw together an Arch
install with all the basics in place, ideally in a VM or on a spare
machine for testing and playing with.

It certainly won't be a big/serious guide, and definitely not for people
looking to install directly on daily use hardware: for that, people need
to do the work themselves, practice on a VM/spare first and know full
well what they're getting into before they start nuking partitions.

As for enlightenment, I just did:

sudo pacman -Sy enlightenment17

And that was it - I already have GDM installed as the greeter and it
automatically picked up the new DE when I logged in locally. I should
point out that it does frequently SIGSEV in the couple of minutes I
spent poking around in it.

Are you doing anything unusual, like running it out of .xinitrc or have
any other weird/funky configurations elsewhere on the system?

Cheers

Looks like I should actually get on with this Arch guide then...