Re: [LUG] Ignoring Linux Mint Upgrade Advice

On 10/12/13 21:33, Rob Beard wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 18:20:46 +0000, George Parker
<georgeparker20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That Mr Meowski, I thought, he often seems to know what he's talking
about, and I need to upgrade to Mint 16 so I'll give it a go. What can
go wrong if I follow the instructions, eh?

Run through number 1 did nothing at all, but that was because I'd
forgotten that my install was Mint 14. Round 1 to Mr Meowski.

I thought I'd better upgrade one version at a time so for run through
number 2 I adjusted the sed lines to Nadia/olivia and quantal/raring and
off we went.  The upgrade took about 1.5 hours, down to broadband speed
I suppose, and went off without a hitch. Everything seems to be working.
Round 2 to Mr Meowski.

Run through number 3 was the final upgrade to Mint 16. Again about 1.5
hours and again seemed to work OK. But when I rebooted my Mate desktop
setup had disappeared and it booted into a temporary Gnome setup. But it
did boot to a desktop and it was trivial to re-install Mate and
everything else seems to be working OK. So, I have to also concede round
3 to Mr Meowski. A resounding win for the Bad Apple.

I think this could safely go into the LUG how-to's with maybe a note on
what to put in the sed lines. (It also intrigued me enough to go and
find out what the sed lines did).

Thank you Mr Meowski.

George
Interesting, I was always under the impression that upgrading from one
Mint release to another (other than the Debian edition) was a bad idea, but
that was on an early version so maybe things have changed.

There's a guide on the Mint web site here which explains the whole
process... http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Personally, 3 odd hours to upgrade seems like a lot of time tbh.  While
I'm now running Mint Debian edition (which has rolling upgrades, but some
risk of breakage) I keep my data on a separate home partition, that way I
can blat root, install a fresh copy of Mint and away I go settings intact
(okay, I do take a backup of any changes I've made in /etc and possibly
keep a note of what extra packages I've installed).  Generally an upgrade
like this takes about half an hour from a USB stick (maybe sometimes an
hour if my broadband is running slowly).

Rob

I too keep my home on a separate partition and I used to upgrade from a usb stick or dvd by reformatting the root partition, less than 30 minutes. Then I had to run an update because what is on the downloaded distro is out of date, and usually by a long way, another 20 minutes. And then I have to put in all those apps that aren't installed by the distro, wine, vbox, digikam, showphoto, calibre, tellico, gramps, the little games we play, etc, etc. And all manual intervention. Give me Mr Meowski's way every time.

George